Monday, August 14, 2006




So I finally got to see the Mango True Mirage production center. It's a simple place, a typical Kenyan office compound, one-story with many single rooms accessed from a central courtyard. What's remarkable is the diversity of their product line and their refusal to mass-produce the same items over and over. I especially like their bannana fibre and saisal baskets and found it interesting to see someone painting their wooden carvings.



My student meeting wasn't what I'd expected in that none of my students showed up. Paul-- who'd chosen a good place for us to meet-- found that he couldn't get off from work at Uchumi's (IT dept.) and instead sent his brother Charles with a formal typed letter of apology. Also there were Beth's brother Maina and her cousin John. Since I was expecting to see my students, I didn't recognize anyone at first, but it was great to see MAina and JOhn again and I was happy to meet Charles.

After some errands around Nairobi, I settled into my hotel in Parklands. I went back out to Westlands for email and felt safe if a little on edge. Maybe in some way I felt safer without Joan because I didn;t have to worry about anyone except myself, but I think there are a lot less streetboys in Nairobi and also more pedestrains.

No comments: