Friday, August 11, 2006

Happy



Beth's family is very happy to see me and get my news of Beth. We meet at Purity & Maina's house in Langa Langa. I am surprised to experience again how small the house is and how closely surrounded by so many neighbors. Still it's comfortable and I enjoy seeing so many children. Everyone I meet (Purity, Winnie's husband, Mama Beth, Grace, Mary, Abu, Beth Kadogo, baba Beth-- and some children whose names I forget) are very well and they greet Beth very much.





I'm so happy that the Nyambura family (Wambo, Maureen, Paul, etc.) have moved to Elementaita. Though it's far from Nakuru (45 shillings or a 2 hour bike ride, which Paul does everyday to get to school) it's much more spacious and clean than the location of old their house in Ronda and has a view of the National Park. They have land on which they can farm and all seem very happy. Of course they wanted to sit with me in the house but after one cup of tea I asked to go outside for a walk. Wambui and her cousin showed me around a little, explaining the various crops they were growing. It was evening and the flamingoes were flying back from where they'd spent the day. I though of Brian Higgins and the other birders. The birds fly in a wide formation, the line stretching across the sky, it seemed, from one horizon to the other.

No comments: