Sunday, August 13, 2006

Nairobi to Machakos

I go to Sunday morning services at the main Presbyterian church in Nairobi. (St. Adnrew's) There's a children's choir, but like in America, they are shy and quiet. All the music throughout the service is purely voices and the adult singers are very good.



I meet Lucy and her husband Kim for lunch and also meet their son Geoff and their niece Kandi. Geoff reminds me of Nate. He refuses to stay in his seat, but wanders around the restaurant, giving me an excuse to chase him and scoop him up and hold him.

I go to Machakos in the afternoon and hangout with Anne and her friend Andrew. I'd been to Kenyan bars and nyama choma joints before, but had never spent the whole afternoon in such a place. I'm not so much on those typical male interests of football on TV, beer, roast meat, lots of pictures of women on the walls but only one (Anne) in actual attendance. Still, I had a good time-- there are few things I enjoy doing more than something I don't normally do.

No comments: