Monday, August 07, 2006

my hero

Seeing the churches where so many people had been killed was taxing for the whole group and I felt tnesions among us that made me nervous aboout our scheduled trip to visit "contact farmers" near Gitarama. What we saw there, however-- biogas units for cooking, kitchen gardens for reuse of kitchen refuse and dishwater for growing plants such as tomatoes and peppers, and an overall co-operative and planned approach to agriculture-- made us all feel better. Perhaps most heartening was our chance to see how this knowledge was being shared with active, working farmers. These students, currently mainly women, came to learn for a few weeks with the idea that by applying them on their own farms, they would have the opportunity to teach others in their communities.

We went back to Kibungo that night. The staff at "our" guest house (where I stayed with Eric and Sarah) were very welcoming and we all felt like we'd come home. They were disappointed that we'd already taken dinner, but I ate a couple of their very tasty onion fritters.

I miss Nate very much. I think he would enjoy being here, and I wouldn't regret the necessary changes to my schedule to have him here. I admire his curiousity and friendliness to everyone.

No comments: