Saturday, August 12, 2006

my students



Back in Nakuru, I very briefky see Mumbi and her mother. Brenda (Mama Yvonne) had showed me the photocopy shop where Mama Mumbi works. I really appreciate how much mama Mumbi respected my time. She said she'd take me in her car to their house so I can see Mumbi for 10 minutes and that's exactly what happened.



Dennis organized a good meeting with himself and some other students including Gladys and Jacinta. It's good to hear their comments that they had benefitted from my teaching but had been shy to say it when they were students. They gave Dennis the nickname "Brian" because he liked writing on the blackboard.

Dennis pays for me to go to Nairobi on the Mololine shuttle, a "matatu" without a tout that takes 10 passengers instead of the standard 14 or the 18 that was the rule zamani. Beofre the trip started, we pass the police station so that we can be checked for weapons.

My favorite part of the road between Nakuru and Nairobi is the place east of Flyover where we're above the Rift Valley and looking down into it. About a fourth of the way down, there's a "shelf", a very flat area maybe a mile long and half a mile wide. It's settled with houses and farms but I don't know how the people on the shelf can access either the road above them or the valley floor below them

No comments: