Saturday, August 05, 2006

Can't we all just get along?

My friend Flora who lives in D.C. has a brother Francis who lives here in Kigali and he took me around last night. We had a really good time at the Cadillac Disco. I was very popular, and Francis was very good about not letting me be too proud of myself, remind me a few times that: "They see your white skin and so they think you have money."

Food here is kind of hard and I've been eating meat here and there. I find it difficult separating the "making myself different" aspects of vegetarianism from the genuine ethical concerns. I'll watch Nate and see what he does.

I do have some concerns for the future of Rwanda. The events of '94 were centuries in the making. The power balance is very strange with one side having the advantage of numbers, the other those of education, external conncections and, for now, the assmed moral superiority that goes with victimhood.

No comments: