Tuesday, March 10, 2009

rules

I got three text messages from my son today and two from my wife so I am very happy. I can imagine us living in Guyana for a little while. I know there are dangers here, but Peace Corps is cautious about where they send people and the volunteers don’t live under our rules regarding not going out without a taxi and/or a supervisor.
If I were allowed to, I would go swim in the ocean which I can see from my balcony and which can be accessed by going to the second floor, then down the Kingston wing, down the steps, a few steps, through the sidewalk, jumping the fence and running over a small dune. The people few down there are poor, swim in their underwear, and while one might ask for your shirt her friend will tell you don’t give her nothing.
We went back to Salt and Pepper Food Court for lunch. Wanting to mix it up a little, I ordered the potato curry roti as did my colleague. Our meals both looked remarkably like the chicken curry he had eaten the day before. After a couple of enquiries, they relented and added a piece of curried potato to each of our plates—sarcasm?

No comments: